Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Chapter 2 page 562–N2U Cross Training Challenge–April edition

I’m sure you are all hip to the New 2 You Cross Training Challenge hosted by Kim at (Just) Trying is for Little Girls and I’m sure you know how much I love this whole concept – try 12 new cross training activities in 2012.  Yeah – it’s just such a cool way to keep me motivated to move! 

April’s cross training activity . . . Piloxing.  

Of course, I jumped in with both feet . . .with my safety net along side, Kimberly from Healthy Strides (check her out with that cute hair and make up). 

100_2961

Here is how the gym’s website describes Piloxing:

PILOXING is an exciting, new inter-disciplinary program that is attracting die-hard followers including Hollywood celebrities and international stars.

PILOXING uniquely mixes Pilates and boxing moves into a fat torching, muscle sculpting, core-centric interval workout, guaranteed to whip you into shape, using a class format that's both fun and challenging.

PILOXING is the brainchild of Swedish dancer and celebrity trainer, Viveca Jensen, and the culmination of her mission to physically and mentally empower women through fitness.  At the core of PILOXING is the principle that feminine is powerful and it aims for women to attain a sleek, sexy, and powerful self-image.

PILOXING blends the power, speed and agility of boxing with the beautiful sculpting and flexibility of Pilates.  Add to that the fun and sexy dance moves that reflect Viveca's personality.

In addition to Pilates and boxing movements, the exercise incorporates the use of weighted gloves which add to the workout by toning the arms and maximizing cardiovascular health.

The class was held at a Big City dance studio and is 45 minutes from my house.  Unfortunately the late class start (7:05 p.m.) meant that I wouldn’t get home until about 9:00 p.m. - pretty late . . . for a “school night”. 

Check out some of the more common Piloxing moves!

So how do I feel about Piloxing?

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE

OMG - this is the GREATEST group “aerobics” class I’ve ever done!!!!!!

Piloxing combines all the elements of fitness: 
Muscular strength (hold in that core and lift that leg)

Muscular endurance (my booty was screaming with all the pliés)

Cardiovascular endurance (wish I would have had a heart rate on – pretty sure I got very close to maxing it several times)

Flexibility (there’s a lot of long reaching)

Balance (a huge part of this class focuses on balance activities . . . who knew). 

This is one great workout that the internet says burns 400-900 calories per hour!!!  Oh yeah – it does most definitely!!!!  It’s much like Zumba in that it alternates high intensity sections with lower intensity sections (thank goodness – I needed a brief breather).  It’s a solid 45 minutes of constant go-go-go followed by 10-15 minutes of floor work focusing on butt and abs. 

Our teacher, Jill, is a gifted instructor – seriously amazing!  She was ALL over the room and yelling over the motivating music.  She was so inspiring and excellent at cuing.  She definitely made the class go by quickly and made it a BLAST!

100_2964

If you have an opportunity to attend a Piloxing class – DO IT!!!!  I drove nearly an hour – IT.WAS.TOTALLY.WORTH.IT!!!  I’m going again and again and again!  Dang – kids, this is my new FAV (don’t worry, Pump will still be in my life). 

Have you tried Piloxing?  If not, do you have Piloxing near you?

11 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome...I wish my gym offered it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. again. you amaze me. wow, keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I am so glad you liked it. I had a great time with you and can't wait for the next one :)

    P.S. Are you sore? My back ... O.M.G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, friend! Nothing is OMG sore (thankfully), but every so often I notice that something is subtly sore (triceps, back, booty, and my left knee really hurts).

      Delete
  4. What a fun class. There are so many classed I want to try but the are so expensive around me I can't keep up with them. I used to do kickboxing and hot yoga, but I can't pay for those and my gym membership (for spin, weights and the pool + plus a million other classes I never get to go to) - and then make it to all of them, and fit in running :) I need to find balance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing! What a great post--I want to hop a plane and join you for the next class, haha.

    I need to find this on DVD...

    Oh, I saw your note about a double next May...I am totally putting that on my radar and will hold your feet to the fire to do it with me. We've got a year to figure it all out, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOLLAR!!!! (isn't that how the cool kids type it?) YES MAY 2013!!! And there are 2 DVD's on amazon - just type in piloxing. The woman who invented the class is the one that is leading the workouton the dvd. It's awesome - hope you get to try it!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a really interesting class! You are killing your workouts lately, nice work'

    ReplyDelete
  7. After watching the video, I have never known piloxing is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never tried it but it looks like a blast! Might just have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to admit - I've never even heard of it before. It sounds intense!

    ReplyDelete