Monday, January 3, 2011

Chapter 2 page 218 - torn ACL (not mine)


I have a 13 1/2 year old beagle named Hoosier. My husband and I celebrated our 3 year wedding anniversary on 1/1/11. Since I began dating my husband, my dog and he have been inseparable. It is truly too cute for words. As many of my local readers know, my dog is old and gimpy and has lots of issues - but last Tuesday night she hurt her leg . . . like she couldn't walk kind of bad. It was really pathetic and scary. I took her to the vet and was told it was not her back (yeah!) but that it was muscular-skeletal and would take a couple of months to heal. I left her at the vets for a couple of days to see if she improved and she did, but only to come home and get worse over the weekend. I returned her to the vet today and guess what I was told???? She has torn her ACL and will have surgery to repair it on Thursday. The vet said it might be 2 months before she is back to normal (hopefully she doesn't tear her other leg's ACL while it is bearing the weight during the healing process). So my old, gimpy, but very loving dog has an injury that young pro-athletes get . . . what's up with that? Oh well, so much for her help during my upcoming training cycle.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't even know dogs had ACLs! I tore mine in high school & had surgery to repair it. It was a tough rehab for me, hopefully its easier on him. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no! I hope the surgery and recovery goes well.

    ReplyDelete