Sunday, May 9, 2010

Chapter 2 page 58 - HMTU 6

Today, I used the treadmill for my training. I had hoped to do it yesterday, but today just seemed to work out better (I'm still counting it toward last week's training schedule, though).

What I did - well . . . the big picture is that I walked, jogged, and yes - ran, a total of 4.8 miles in 70 minutes. Now - that's certainly a very pathetic time which is a little concerning since "C" wants us to average less than 13 min/mile; however, I did it - alone!!!! (uggg!).

Here's sort of how it broke down (it got a bit confusing so this is the gist):

5 min. warm up at 3.0-3.3 mph

2 min. jog at 4.5 mph

2 min. walk at 3.5 mph

5 min. jog at 4.5 mph

5 min. total stop - stretch - and thought I was crazy and going to die it was so hard

10 min. jog at 4.5

30 sec jog at 5.0

30 sec jog at 5.5

30 sec jog at 6.0

30 sec jog at 5.5

30 sec jog at 5.0

30 sec jog at 4.5 (for those of you with poor math skills- that's a total of 13 minutes of jogging- yeah, go me!)

5 min of slowing down so as to not die - it was during this time I realized I was bored watching tv, so I decided to mute the tv and blast the new tunes on my new earphones.

23 min. of doing my very fast walk and sort of bleeding into a slight jog - the pace was anywhere between 4.0-5.0 (I would call this my typical 5K race pace, my training partner "L" would confirm that)

10 min. incline on 7.0 and speed at 2.7

the remainder of the time was back on incline 2 slowing down to 1.5 before ending

I'm happy that I was able to stay active for such a long period of time (70 minutes is more than I've been continuously moving since last fall when I did the 10K's). I'm also happy that I was able to jog for 13 straight minutes and then do a walkish-joggish thing for 23 minutes.

Concerns:
1. "C" wants to finish the half in 2 hours 45 minutes - that just seems a bit out of my reach for 14 weeks from now.
2. After 7 minutes my legs and shins were so tight I had to stop and stretch and thought I couldn't take another step - the 1/2 marathon is likely to be 2 hours and 53 minutes longer (ugg).
3. I iced my shins and stretched my who-ha (those of you might remember me injuring my psoas muscle last summer) when I got home. My back isn't sore - yeah! My who-ha is a bit sore, but my shins aren't hurting too badly thanks to the icing.
4. Thirst - I drank the entire bottle of water. This weekend I ordered a 2 bottle hydration belt so hopefully that will work okay for the length of the race.

Other things to note:
1. I ordered some books which should be here in about a week.
2. I'm currently reading The Complete Idiot's Guide to Running - some of it is stuff I already know, but there are lots of things in the 6 chapters I have already read which I didn't know.
3. I'm questioning why I ever told anyone at work that I was training for this - what if I can't do it??

As always, thanks for reading, thanks for your support and encouragement!

No comments:

Post a Comment