Monday, June 7, 2010

Chapter 2 page 74 - HMTU 16

Finally - a great workout!!!!! "C" and I started off by reviewing our training schedule (we've been doing our own thing for the last couple of weeks and I think it's time we return to a structured "path" so that we can continue to progress).

The training session said 3 miles so we set off to do 3 miles. It went by very quickly and painlessly. It was about 75 degrees and about 55% humidity. Early in the day, I had been quite sick to my stomach and nearly canceled this session because all afternoon I was so sick to my stomach, but I took medication and prayed and all was great by the time we started. We got to the 2.6 mile mark and asked if it would be okay if we walked to the 1/2 mile statue - "C" said sure . . . upon arrival, I thought, "let's keep going" so we walked to the 1 mile statue. We did a total of about 4.6 miles.

My shins are feeling great as are my knees . . . and even my tummy. The problem - BLISTERS!!!!! I have 2 of the most painfully, large blisters on the bottom of my feet where my big toe and foot meet up. The last few sessions I have been wearing special "toe socks". I tried to put the photo here, then I tried to post the URL and both have failed. I'm feeling pretty sick so I don't have it in me to keep trying right now. Perhaps I'll get the link or pix up another time. In the meantime, feel free to google "Injinji socks".

I've been suspicious of the socks - like, do they really work or am I just getting lucky - today I can answer with certainty - - -these socks really did keep me from getting these terribly large blisters. I don't exactly enjoy wearing them, but they have accomplished the goal of not getting blisters. Tonight . . . . I wasn't wearing them and boy do I regret it in a BIG way. Maybe in the upcoming days when the blisters are ready to pop, I'll upload a lovely photo. I can barely walk around the house right now - I have 2 more training sessions this week.

Anyway, minus the painful blisters which will go away in about 1-2 weeks, today's walk/run was a big success. I didn't feel completely out of shape or pathetic. Yeah! I saw the weather was going to get much warmer the rest of the week - hope I can hang for the 6 mile session tomorrow! Fingers crossed!

Since coming home I've felt kind of crappy - I might have a fever (I had chills and put a sweatshirt on), and now I have a cough . . . hope combined with my earlier symptoms today I'm not getting the flu (yikes!!! - "C" would really vote me off the island then!).

No comments:

Post a Comment