Friday, June 22, 2012

Chapter page 589–Ankle update

Hi everyone and happy Friday!  Anyone else yelling “TGIF”? 

As you may remember, 5.5 weeks ago I took a nasty fall while running resulting in a sprained wrist and ankle and boogered-up (yeah, that’s a real medical word) knee.  Today I saw an orthopedic surgeon for a consult.  This ortho doc is a recreational runner and is familiar with my run/walk style and racing history/goals – always great to see someone who “gets” it.  Here’s a progress report:

Wrist – some pain to be expected for a bit longer, but no fracture and should continue to heal

Knee – narrowing of a space on my knee cap but nothing to be too worried about at this point; clicking has improved by 50% in the 5 weeks – the clicking will continue to decrease (fingers crossed, I can’t sneak up on anyone anymore – ha!);

Ankle – this was definitely the most significant injury from the fall; still have significant swelling; still have constant mild pain with spurts of severe pain if I move it oddly; here’s the good news . . . . drum roll . . . I can return to easy running as tolerated (per the ortho doc) – WOO HOO!  I was told to expect some pain and swelling for the next 6-12 months (SAY WHAT?!?!), but I’m permitted to run/walk as long as it isn’t more painful or more swollen than normal.  I will also continue with PT twice weekly for another month. 

I’m a LONG way from being able to return to lower body Body Pump (nothing lost there – always did hate squats and lunges – ha!) or Piloxing (sigh – I MISS THAT!) or Zumba, but it’s going to be GREAT to try to ease back into more consistent running.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!!!!  RnR Seattle – I’d like to try it next year so I hope to read some rally good race recaps Smile

4 comments:

  1. This post is good news! It's a start. Heading to Seattle:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, my heart dropped when I saw "surgeon." Don't do that to me! I am so glad that it is all good in the 'hood or as good as can be expected. And, amen to Seattle. I'd love to race there someday (probably not next year, though).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl!! Nope, nothing bad happened to me expect the end of another quarter, a 1 week break that i decided to go unplugged for, and a start of another school quarter lol... I just needed a break i guess :) I still don't know how often I'll get to blog, silly school... who goes to school in the summer anyways?! ;)
    I'm so glad to hear your injuries are making improvements and you can start easing your way back into running!! I bet that will help you feel so much better just being able to get out and exercise a little! :) Hugs to you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that you are on the mend! Yay for running again! Enjoy getting back into it! :) I still have big aspirations for a 6 miler today, so hopefully I am able to get out there :) There are soooo many people who were running Seattle RnR today, I wish I was there! :)

    ReplyDelete