Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Chapter 2 page 93 - shoe dilemma

dictionary.com defines dilemma as:
1. a situation requiring a choice between equally undesirable alternatives.
2. any difficult or perplexing situation or problem.

Yep - that's exactly what I have with my shoes. In page 91, I described my latest adventure in the search for the perfect running shoe.

I currently have 4 shoes in the mix and I'm trying very hard to decide which one will be "MY" running shoe. Yesterday I ran with Asics Nimbus 12 which were okay, but not great (bummer, 'cuz they're really cute!). I washed them clean and have them packed up to be returned to Zappos. I certainly didn't get that "love at first 'site' (wear)" with them.

The 2 pairs I got yesterday needed test driven. I decided to try them both on the treadmill since they too could be returned if they weren't 'perfect'. I decided to do a mile in each pair just to compare and see. I started with the New Balance 1064's. They weren't terrible. They totally didn't hurt my blister (woo hoo!). My shins did start to get a little sore after 1 mile. Was this because the shoes aren't really going to fix my shin splints? Was it because I ran on an incline (not likely, that's suppose to minimize the pain)? Was it because I ran a little faster than normal? Was it because I was running on a treadmill and I'm just not use to that? Was it because of the little heel wedges that Fred Toegnes put in these shoes? Who knows.

I decided for my second mile I would take out the heel wedges and use only my orthotics and the shoe's insoles. I got half a mile and my shins were killing me plus my left hip started hurting. Crazy! I stopped and decided that the heel wedges (although they cost $30/pair are essential if I chose the N-B 1064's). On a positive note - absolutely no blister issues!

For my third experiment I went with the Pearl Floats which were a half size larger than the ones I have been using. Let's remember that my Pearl Floats have completely cured my shin splints, but left me with the huge blister on my right foot. When I started up the treadmill wearing the half size larger, I had to make several pauses to get the laces tied just right - not too tight, not too loose. Eventually, things got rolling and almost immediately my shin pain was gone! Unbelievable - those shoes really do work and apparently there isn't anything like it on the market. Unfortunately, with the insoles and my orthotics - there was very little room around the toes. I felt as if my big toe nail was rubbing on the shoe - I certainly don't want to lose a toe nail in order to prevent blisters and cure shin splints (uggg!). I'm also afraid that it is just too pinching across the ball and could eventually cause something serious like a neuroma.

So after 2 1/2 miles, I feel very confused about what to do next. I'm thinking that I should try all 3 pairs again on the treadmill at least one or maybe even two more times. All are returnable. So what's the problem you ask? What am I suppose to wear tomorrow for our 3 mile run? What am I suppose to wear for Saturday's 5K race? My current Pearl Floats will EAT my feet alive and cause bad blisters. I do know that I need to get this all settled and very very quickly because I'm getting behind on my mileage ("L" ran 8.2 miles on Tuesday - what???!!!!??? That's crazy far! The furthest I have gone so far is like 7 miles). I'm getting desperate and scared that I'm soon going to miss the training train and let "C" and "L" down as well as myself and everyone I've told about this crazy plan - not to mention 6 months I will have put into this training. I KNOW that I can complete a half-marathon but I need to get the right shoes that will help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment