Sunday, October 31, 2010

Chapter 2 page 171 - H.U.F.F. anyone?

Want to read a sentence that I NEVER dreamed I would type?
Here goes . . .

"Should I participate in the H.U.F.F.?"

Here are some reasons why that might be the craziest thing I have ever typed.

Race fact #1: H.U.F.F. stands for (Huntington Ultra Frigid Fifty).

Race fact #2: The H.U.F.F. is one of the largest ultra-marathons in the country (say what?!?!?!)

Race fact #3: It's held on Saturday, December 18th which looking at last year's photos (here) - probably equals snow, sleet, rain, and freezing cold temps.

Race fact #4: My race director buddy "M" (who isn't the H.U.F.F. director) helps get the race started, then leaves for his "real job" - works an 8 hour shift, and comes back to the race . . . where people are still hours away from the finish line (dude, that's a seriously LONG day!)

Race fact #5: The race is only about 30 minutes from my house.

Race fact #6
: Last year, "M" said that I absolutely could NOT do this race. He thinks that I could do it this year (he suggested that I prepare myself to be out on the course for at least 3 hours).

Race fact #7 (the MOST important fact): Just like the W.O.O.F - the H.U.F.F. has 3 separate races: 1 loop "fun run" = 10.8 miles; 3 person relay team 50K, or one person doing the whole 50K (that's definitely HARD CORE). I, of course, would only do ONE lap!!!!

post script - I had seriously discussed doing this race for the past couple of months. "C" isn't really sold on the idea, but her oldest daughter "K" is gung ho about it. That said, as I was putting this post together I saw some "on the trail" photos HERE and now I'm thinking twice (dude, check out those hills . . . add ice, mud, freezing temps, tired legs, and overall fatigue - YIKES!). Now, I'm not so sure this race is for me.

Any thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. Go for it but make sure you train for it so you do not get hurt.

    Kevin
    http://halftriing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete