Sunday, December 19, 2010

Chapter 2 page 206 - Shoe search

Yesterday, "C" and I went to the running store in hopes I could find a pair of shoes that didn't hurt my heel or cause shin splints (or any other issue for that matter). At first I felt as if the salesperson was blaming me for having plantar fasciitis (reminding me that I have to stretch, strengthen, ice, and massage it ALL DAY EVERY DAY). Well, I've had PF for 10 years now and I think I understand all the in's and out's of the condition. I know exactly when it began flaring up (the moment I switched to the Pearl Izumi Float shoes) and I know that if I don't run, it doesn't hurt. So . . . that means that the Pearl Izumi shoes are the underlying aggravating factor.

Once we moved past it being my fault, we began the parade of probably 10 different kinds of shoes (thank goodness I'm a neutral runner and there are MANY options). Despite me saying that Brooks Defyance was what I originally used but caused shin splints he insisted I try them again. He even brought over the trainer to tell me what causes shin splints and how to prevent them. At this point (after lecturing me about 2 conditions I'm VERY knowledgeable about, I decided to let him know I work in health care). I wasn't thrilled with the Brooks, so then we tried Nike Air Pegasus (pretty sure I wore those back in junior high), Saucony Progrid Ride (I think), Asics Nimbus, Asics Cumilous, and several others that I can't remember now (they were so unimpressive that I didn't bother learning their names). . . it became a blur after awhile. Thanks to a blogger comment the other day, I did ask about Newton's, but was told that was get someone to become more of a barefoot runner - not really the direction I'm going in right now.

I started with trying both the left and right shoes on of each pair and jogging in circles around the store. Some I could rule out right away. Some were left in the mix. Some were too small so we tried a bigger size. Some were too narrow and they would have to order the wide width. Eventually I was left with 5 pairs that I couldn't decide between. So . . . I put one kind on my left foot and another kind on my right foot and did a half mile or so on the treadmill. I was able to rule out one or other so they were returned to the stockroom. I tried on two other different shoes - ran a half mile or so, then ruled one out. This process continued until I had a Big 10 bracket situation and was down to 2 different kinds of shoes. So . . . on goes one on my left foot and the other on my right foot - back on the treadmill . . . a LOT of sweat later . . . Saucony Progrid Ride 3 (I think) was the winner. It's not as much cushion as the Nimbus (dang, those are just like strapping pillows to your feet), but I noticed my shin was starting to ache with the Nimbus on and I didn't want to risk shin splints once again.

I received some shoe tying lessons ("lace lock" technique) and placed an order for the wide width of the Saucony's. After more than an hour, we walked out without any shoes, but will receive a call when they come in. Once they arrive, it's back to the store to compare/contrast the regular width with the wide width - hopefully the glass slipper will be in the box!!!!! Fingers crossed!

Once I get them, I'll be running on a treadmill to test them out to make sure they are "the ones" otherwise the running store has a 30 day return policy.

Stay Tuned!

p.s. How 'bout them Colts!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment