Friday, December 2, 2011

Chapter 2 page 484–Big Sur final 5K

Do you feel as if you’ve been reading about a marathon and not just a half?  Sorry for dragging it out – just sooo many beautiful pictures to share!

Miles 10 and 11 were fine – the rain was a nice distraction (especially since I had gotten rather mentally fatigued during miles 6.5-9).  It brought the participants back together and made for fun conversation.  It was during these 2 miles that I made the most “friends”.  The other racers at this point were just out to have a good time and encourage each one another and finish the race with smiles on their face!

Big Sur 322Big Sur 323

You can see the wetness we were experiencing by this point in the race – the bright blue skies had given way to grey and gloomy. 

Big Sur 324Big Sur 325

(left) You should double click on the left photo – check out that hand painted wall mural (someone is so talented!).

Big Sur 326Big Sur 327

(left) a sculpture of a sea otter – so cute!; (right) – PLEASE double click on that photo – those “lumps” on the beach are seal lions and seals – look how many there are!!!!!

Big Sur 328Big Sur 329

This mile 12 marker marks the LOWEST part of a race I’ve ever experienced.  I bent over and put my hands on my knees and yelled “I can’t go on!  I can’t do this!  I have to quit!”  My friends, were about 2 blocks ahead of me and had NO idea that I was struggling!  There, in the rain, alone, I came as close to sitting on the curb as I ever have!  People were passing me telling me I could do it and of course, I had no choice – so, with one foot in front of the other I started back at it.  I had finally settled into a nice steady shuffle that I thought I could continue the rest of the time.   I had been using a 1 minute run and 1 minute walk interval the whole race but starting at about mile 12.25 I began doing a 2:1 (I guess I mostly REALLY wanted to be done!!!).  At mile 12.5, my great friend “C” had hit the wall and was struggling!  Some tough love was used and we walked across the finish line!

Big Sur 330Big Sur 331

Next posts will be all about the touristy things we saw and did – such a cool place!

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pics!! Looks like you had a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job pushing through! Thanks for sharing all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done for pushing yourself at the end! I know the feeling - I have been a mile to the finish of a race before wondering - is this worth it? The answer is always YES!

    ReplyDelete