What a great year I’ve had. I’ve been so blessed this year that a recap seems impossible to write in order to convey all the great things that happened in 2011.
If you have a minute, please click HERE to read an open letter to running I wrote in looking ahead to 2011. When you read that letter you really see how incredibly far I’ve come! Pretty awesome to think about.
Let’s start by looking at the goals I set for 2011:
1. Find “the perfect running shoe” – I’m calling that a success although I think there is still room for improvement. After running in dozens of shoes over the past 2 years and having had an array of injuries and pains, I found Nike Air Pegasus and except for left quad pain, they’ve been very good to me. Yay!
2. Run 2 half marathons– UMMM YES ACCOMPLISHED! I actually ran 6 half marathons in 2011: Geist (May), Chicago RnR (August), Fort 4 Fitness (September), Columbus Half (October), St. Louis RnR (October), and Big Sur Half (November). I feel so lucky and blessed to have had the opportunity to do these races. I had a sub-goal of setting a PR at 2:59:99 – CRUSHED . . . I got my PR at the F4F race in September 2:53:51!
3. Complete 10 5K’s – ACCOMPLISHED! This might have been the most challenging goal – just arranging my schedule to get those in. I had a blast doing most of them. I had a sub-goal of setting a PR at 39:00 – CRUSHED . . . I got my PR at the Swiss Days 5K in July 37:47 (3:29 faster than previous PR – smokin’).
4. Complete 2 10 mile races – ACCOMPLISHED! I had originally set the goal to complete a 10 mile race in April and in September. I wasn’t able to do the April race, but instead I did the HUFF in December so it wall worked out. I even set a PR at the Parlor City 10 Miler in September at a 2:12: 50.
5. Complete 1 10K (Rat Race) and set a PR at 1:21:30. I wasn’t able to accomplish this goal. I wasn’t able to run the Rat Race because I ended up doing the STL RnR race which was on the same day.
6. Complete 1 trail race – ACCOMPLISHED! I actually did 2 trail races (WOOF in November, and HUFF in December). These were definitely some of my FAV (and most challenging) races of the year!!! Go Team Victorious Secret!