Friday, September 17, 2010

Chapte 2 page 140 - the great taper caper

I was a long distance swimmer in high school and part of college and we would have a taper schedule prior to the larger meets, but somewhere along the way - - - I forgot how GREAT it is to taper!

Seriously - I think I might have been a longer distance recreational runner a long time ago had someone told me about the greatness of tapering (where were all of you way back when I was struggling mile after mile - a shout out something like "it's worth it because in a couple of months you'll not have to go this far" might have been a great heads up!).

There is something to be said for increasing distance when the payoff is 2 weeks of taper. I was sort of dreading training for 2 more months for the Women's Half Marathon that is in November, but NOW . . . NOW I'M PSYCHED!!!! Why? Because it's merely 6 weeks of training and 2 weeks of taper (woo hoo!!!!)

Seriously, this taper thing has been the greatest part of the entire 5 months of torture (okay - not exactly the GREATEST part . . . that would be getting to know "C" and enjoying the social time I have spent with the 3 Musketeers - but tapering is a VERY close second!).

To everyone tapering for a race . . . or recovering (I hear that's almost as excellent) from a race - enjoy! Cheers to you!!!

2 comments:

  1. YAY for tapers!! :D Now that I can run again (lower mileage to start off of course) I'm on schedule for a taper anyways for the Women's Half Marathon in a week!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. Just wanted to say hi and thanks for visiting my blog

    ReplyDelete