Tonight after our half marathon class (didn't learn anything new so I won't be writing a post about it), "C" and I walked 1.33 miles with a classmate "J" and then we continued to do 2.5 more miles using a 3:00 run & 1:00 walk. This interval is what we plan to use for Saturday's 5K race . . . the one I'm hoping to get a PR of 39:30 (acceptable), 39:15 (awesome), 39:00 (OMG I totally ROCK!). We used this 3:1 interval last year when I got my 5K PR so I'm hoping I can dig deep and push through (as you know, pushing through is not my strong point). I feel more confidence after tonight's run - we did one mile at a 12:11 - yeah, that'll definitely help me get a PR, woo hoo!!! We discussed race strategy, here's what we established as our "race rules":
1. We're going to job 1/2 mile before the race as a warm up.
2. We're going to start the race off with a 3 min running interval and do it easy - then we'll build from there.
3. I'm allowed to walk through ONE interval so long as it isn't in the last 3/4 of a mile!
4. We're using the 3:1 interval.
5. We'll walk through the water station but return to running if it is during our running interval
6. I'm taking my metronome and we'll break it out hopefully with like 1/2 mile left - that might actually be changed to the "final stretch" - we'll have to see . . . I certainly don't want to have a heart attack!!!!
7. We're going to wear our ipods (only done this for 1 5K and the last 3 miles of the Geist half) - I usually prefer to talk and laugh and have fun, but with this pace, I'm not sure that I will be able to talk to "C" so . . . . I'll focus on the tunes.
8. I'm going to carry a bottle of water with me - goofy, yes, but I get anxiety when I don't have enough water and although the forecast is for 63 degrees at the race start - the forecast is calling for 96% humidity - YUCK!
9. Hopefully our half marathon class teacher will still be around at the finish line and either cheer us on or be around for a photo op - he's hoping to win the race . . . we, of course, are wishing him ALL THE LUCK!!! Good Luck, Eric!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although we'll be 25 minutes behind you, we're still cheering for you!!!!
So, do you run races with friends/people? Do you set personal "rules" for yourself for races? If so, what are some of your rules?
Fingers crossed that I'll be able to do it - stay tuned (the race is Saturday at 8:00 a.m.).