Friday, July 22, 2011

Chapter 2 page 382 - nothing hurts!

I'm super excited to report that at this moment, nothing hurts on my body!  NOTHING!  Long time followers know that running really hurts me - seriously, every run - every time something hurts.

Here's a little update on my most commonly discussed aches/pains/issues:  

Plantar Fasciitis (PF) - For the better part of 11 years, my right heel has always killed me (thick ice pick stabbing you deep in the center of your heel - for those of you who can't relate to the pain).  I have posted "heel updates" from time to time, but I've kept it kind of quiet lately.  I have been back in physical therapy (again) for the past 3 or 4 weeks and enduring even more scrapping (man, that's just a good time!!! NOT!).  I have also had 4 hours of PF massages in FW.  That combined with a ridiculous amount of soaking (both in ice and in warm Epsom salt water), stretching, massaging, and golf ball rolling - I am happy to announce I'm currently pain free.  This happened once before right before my Geist Half marathon back in May, but **SIGH** the pain returned.  I'm on a 2 week PT hold to see how it feels and then figure out what's next.  I can't tell you how awesome it is to get out of bed in the morning (or up from a chair) and not get my breath taken away with pain.  Join me in a woot woot!!!

Knee pain - you may remember that my right knee began hurting in February and continued to hurt until May.  It was so painful I had an MRI right before my May half marathon to rule out any serious damage.  It seems this pain was directly related to running in my Saucony Progrid Ride shoes.  I changed to Nike Air Pegasus and BAM immediately my knee quit hurting.  I'm super thankful for no longer having this pain!

Shins - if you've ever had shin splints then you totally know they are a killer!!!  I have had bouts of debilitating shin splints for the past 2 years.  Originally these were cured by changing shoes from Brooks to Pearl Izumi (which is what led to my PF flaring up).  I continue to have some SS aches and pains from time to time, but for now - they aren't hurting!!!! 

Who-ha - I learned this pain was from my psoas and ever since I was told that - I have been able to stretch and massage it to keep the pain in check.  It does hurt while I run longer distances, but I'm 100% able to fix it with massage and stretches!

Quad - Close followers might have remembered that for the last month I've had a bout of pain in my left quad.  It concerned me so much I feared I wouldn't be able to run the recent Runners on Parade - let alone try to PR.  I had 2 massages, purchased "The Stick" (do you own one? It's so much more awesome than I could have possibly dreamed!!!!), and did a ton of stretches.  I'm super excited to announce that the pain is GONE!  I'll continue to baby it and focus on good warm ups for the next few weeks to facilitate the healing of the quad strain, but it's looking good so far!!!

How are you doing?  Injured?  Rehabilitating?  Recovered? 

3 comments:

  1. My knee is still not 100%.

    I have the Tiger Tail which is similar to the stick.

    Whatever you are doing right now, keep it documented and keep doing it! Sounds like something is going right!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for no pain!! Congrats! (p.s. I like the new layout) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're not experiencing any pain right now... whatever you're doing, keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete