I've been faithful to training. I hydrate. I fuel. I do everything that is asked of me regarding my runs - now 4 days a week, speed work, hill training, and the dang gone long runs. I do them all. They aren't fast or pretty, but I do them. I check them off the list. I try very hard to learn from them. I try to apply what I learned. I surround myself with 2 awesome training partners (C & L - notice that tonight, I'm even too exhausted to use quote marks). I even have a team of health professionals on speed dial - 2 massage therapists, an NP, 2 PTs and and PTA. I paid $120 to take a dang gone class to teach me how to do it better so that I can go faster and yet . . . yet, it all is still impossibly difficult. Here's what has gotten me all fired up:
12 miler (exact same route - just in reverse- as last week's long run) -
Why did it SUCK SO BADLY?1. Last week we ran in the heat warning, but it was first thing in the morning - we did this week's in the evening - wow, was it hot and humid (86* when we finished at 8:40 nearly 90* when we started).
2. During last night's new shoe 3 miler, my left ball of my foot began hurting - yeah, it was crippling tonight -felt as if I had a golf ball in my shoe I was trying to run on - what's that all about. The pain was an 8/10 until we stopped and I rubbed it a little then the rest of the run it was a pain of 3/10. I CANNOT handle another pain.
3. The well water and warm water made me nauseous. I seriously was going to throw up.
4. Despite the heat, we upped our running interval from last week.
5. I'm just NOT cut out to run this far!
6. This was my 3rd day of running in a row - not a smart choice I know, but with the weather it was hard to adjust the runs otherwise. I did the best I could. The weather this week is only going to get hotter so I honestly don't think there was any other way around it - unless I missed a run. . . . and maybe in hindsight, skipping last night's run might have been a better idea than to push just to finish the dumb 3 miles (that ended up hurting my left foot).
WHAT WERE THE SAVING GRACES ?1. I had 2 amazing training partners - both C&L were there with me. They refused to leave me even when I was sure I was going to puke and sure I could NOT take another step! "L" hasn't trained this far in a year and dang she was smoking me - see, something just isn't right - it should be getting easier and IT ISN'T!!!!
2. I had some lifesavers candy in my fuel belt. Helped with the nausea and gave my tongue something to do which distracted me for a little bit (twice).
3. We opted for a pretty shady route.
4. We stopped for water 3 times and the potty once.
5. We were familiar with the route since we had just done it a week ago.
6. It's my LAST long run until my Chicago RnR half on 8/14 - next week is a cut back week (PTL because I seriously can't do another long run - heck, I'm not even sure I can go 13.1- these 12 KILLED ME!)
7. AND THIS IS THE BEST ONE . . . I have a rock star awesome husband!!! When I came home, he already had the trash taken out to the curb, he had cooked dinner and put it conveniently so all I had to do was nuke it, he washed our bath towels so that my towel fresh and awesomly fluffy when I got out to the shower. What husband does that? Mine - I love him. Thanks honey (he reads my blog!) for being awesome and understanding that this madness is going to continue through 11/20 (doesn't that seem impossibly far away . . . 16 more weeks!)
Yeah, I'm pretty fired up and I'm sorry that yet again using this as my platform to SCREAM my frustrations. I really am a positive person and generally my enthusiasm is contagious, but not tonight. I'm sorry! Please don't stop stopping by - I'm hoping for something positive to happen in my running life!
I am currently welcoming any advice you have to offer. Because my races are destination races and involve lots of money (flights, hotels, entry fees) not training isn't an option. I'm thinking about returning to only 3 days a week because I seemed to be a happier runner "back then" - yes, that is actually sounding pretty good - will have to ask my half mary teacher on Wednesday. Other than that - any suggestions on how to survive or make it feel easier or to make it actually easier or how to push through when it just totally sucks?? I'm serious- ANY advice you have is appreciated!!!! Thanks!