Monday, January 9, 2012

Chapter 2 page 515–Hum Hum Hummus

I love hummus.  No, I really really love hummus.  Hummus is healthy and can be made or purchased fairly cheaply.  Hummus has 101 ways it can be eaten and comes in at least a dozen flavor variations. 

Recently I enjoyed a hummus wrap for lunch AND.IT.WAS.SOOOOO.GOOD. I had to share it with you . . .

1.  Start off with your favorite bread, wrap, pita, or flat bread.  I really like these (purchased at Fresh Market).

100_2400100_2402

2.  Select the hummus of your choice.  My BBF introduced me to this – OMG it’s out of this world delicious!!!!  I got it at a little café, but use any kind you like.

100_2403100_2404

3.  Spread the hummus on the wrap (I like to use my off set handle frosting spreader – makes for quick work).  The hummus I was using had olives in it, bonus!

100_2406100_2407

4.  I added about 1 cup of broccoli slaw.  You could use leaf lettuce or actual broccoli florets or anything that you like. 

100_2408100_2409

5.  I added some fat free feta and a little sprinkle of shredded parmesan cheese.  I cannot tell you how much I adore feta and hummus together!

100_2410100_2416

6.  I added some thinly sliced red bell pepper.  You could add cucumbers or other types of olives or really anything that makes you happy.  You can even add shredded tuna (I’ll never do that but you can) or shredded chicken or heck even strips of steak I’d guess.  I also drizzled a tiny amount of fat free Italian salad dressing on top – just gives it a little moistness and pulls the flavors all together.  It’s optional and other options include:  Oil & Vinegar, Balsamic Vinaigrette, or Greek dressing.  Other topping options that would make it OH-SO-TASTY:  craisins, thinkly sliced bartlet pear, sprouts, water chestnuts, walnut pieces, or green onions.

100_2420

7.  I microwaved it for about 30 seconds just to soften it up.  I don’t usually “nuke” it if I make it early in the day and take it for lunch at work, but since it was all fresh from the fridge I thought it would help take the chill off.  Serve with anything you want (I’m such an American and have to have a "chip-like-thing” with my sandwich so I ate a few whole wheat Triscuts.   Enjoy!!!!

100_2421

 

Do you eat hummus?  If so, do you make your own (wanna share your recipe?) or do you buy it?  I obviously buy mine, but my mom makes hers from scratch . . . and it’s GOOD!  I’ll have to get the recipe from her. 

What is your favorite way/ways to eat hummus?  I like it LOTS of ways.  The wrap above is one of my favorite ways.  I also like to do THIS with it

8 comments:

  1. I llllllllllllllllllllllllove hummus - love it soooo much. I make mine and it's really really easy to do ... grab a can of chickpeas - rinse and drain, a couple of cloves of garlic, a tablespoon to a quarter of a cup of tahini (not necessary but makes it even better), a tablespoon of olive oil, a tablespoon of lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste and blend to desired consistency. My favourite way to eat it is straight off the blender!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hummus is new to me, I have had it a few times and I don't hate it. Maybe I just haven't found the right hummus but it didn't seem to have much flavor?

    I wish I liked veggies because that looks like SUCH a healthy lunch. My "wrap" would have lettuce in it and thats about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried hummus, but this post makes me want to! It's almost lunch time and I'm kind of wishing I had all of this stuff in my fridge so I could mock your lunch! I'll let you know what I think when I finally try it! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, you know I love me some hummus. I used to do wraps all the time and you just reminded me to do it more often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hummus! That looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so funny - I literally JUST talked about hummus and asked for some good recipes and then come here and BAM! You've got one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE LOVE LOVE Hummus!!! I actually just went and bought a super large tub of hummus (and some gluten free crackers and a large bag of carrots) to keep at my office for snacking purposes. I could literally destroy a container of hummus and bag of carrots in no time. I very well may try this recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete