Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Chapter 2 page 517–Sugar Belles

In the February 2012 edition of Runner’s World, there is an article about trying new produce.  Since I’m doing new things in 2012 (N2U CT Challenge), I thought I might as well add trying new foods to the list of 2012 activities as well.   As I’ve said dozens of times, I live in a small town and we have very limited options for grocery shopping.  We have a Wal-Mart (which I really try to avoid) and a Kroger.  We also have a little mom and pop meat market that has a small produce section.  If I want something more, I have to drive to Meijer or Fresh Market about 45 minutes away in the Big City. 

Recently, I went to Meijer – WOW, they have EVERYTHING!  It was amazing.  Yes, I’ve been there before, but not often and wow – the produce selection is unbelievable. 

So to start off the year with trying at least one new food a month, I opted for Sugar Belles.  You can click on the photos to enlarge.  Did you know Sugar Belles were created in 2009 by the University of Florida?  Click HERE to learn more. 

100_2390100_2397

Sugar Belles are not large – bigger than a clemantine, but not as big a s large navel orange.  They are about the size of a female’s fist.  They are SUPER SWEET – wow!  If you are trying to “healthify” your diet and sweets are your downfall (like me) – I think this might just be the solution!  They are easy to peel and have very few seeds.  At about fifty cents each, it’s a pretty good deal.  They are very seasonal so enjoy them while you can.

Have you tried a Sugar Belle?  These are a hybrid of a clementine and a Minneola both of which I have had before, but never this delicious citrus variety.  I would get them again. 

What produce item do you think I should try in February?  I’m not overly adventurous or gifted in the kitchen . . .and well, you know that my options include Meijer, Fresh Market, Kroger, and Wal-Mart.  I’m open to finding new healthy options to include in my diet so lay your ideas on me.

2 comments:

  1. Pomegranate? Adding Kale (kinda yucky) to a protein shake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love clementines so I have to look out for these! I second the idea of Kale, but maybe try making chips? They are seriously tasty, I love it!

    ReplyDelete