Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Chapter 2 page 330 - heel update

It's been a little bit since I gave you all an update on my heel and well, although I'm fairly certain you don't really care, I'm documenting the journey and you can feel free to skip this post.  After 6 weeks of hell physical therapy, I had fairly good results.  My pain was cut by 50%.  2 days before my recent half I had to stand all day at work (like 14 hours of standing) and to my shock there was NO PAIN!  That's completely and totally never happened.  That type of standing (heck, just 20 minutes of standing) would have led to HUGE PAIN.  Imagine my surprise the next morning when I had no first step pain.  Then, Saturday, I had no real pain with my held during or after my half marathon.  I remained pain free until this past Saturday's 2 miler, and now it's back.  Each day it's getting a little more severe and right now (after our 4 miler today) it's hurting as much as it did prior to PT. The pain is pretty severe right at this minute which is what moved me to post about it (and the fact several of you have been so kind and asked me about it).  It was so pleasurable to run pain free that I seriously hope I can get back to that point again.  I have notified the therapist - no idea what the plan is!  Now you know . .  the rest of the story!

6 comments:

  1. I care! I'm bummed that the pain has returned. My fingers are crossed (and so are baby boy's) that it's temporary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to go back and read what you did to combat the PF. I fear I've got it starting in my left foot and am totally upset.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ just trying - I had 6 weeks of physical therapy scraping (there's photos of the pain on posts called "heel update". The first time around (10 years ago) I was most successful with a night splint. I HIGHLY recommend trying one of those for anyone who even thinks he/she is having PF. Richelle at rthc.blogspot.com has suggested I try Active Release Technique. The closest provider is 45 minutes away but I'm going to give him a call tomorrow. Good luck - PLEASE let me know how you're doing and if you find anything that ends the pain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is so not what I wanted to read right now. Really. Ice? stretching? massage? I wore a night boot/splint too at one point, and if you want a laugh, I wore it on a plane on an overnight flight. It had a carry on for itself : ) And Thank You for all your supportive postive comments, I truly appreciate it. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer! I thought for sure your heel pain had gone away for good because you hadn't mentioned it in recent posts. I will keep praying for it to heal. I hope active release (or ART) works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no!!

    While you are giving updates, how's the diet going? I want an update on that. I haven't seen any food pictures posted lately.

    I know, I am quite demanding. ;)

    ReplyDelete