Sunday, February 6, 2011

Chapter 2 page 232 - game day snacks

What are you having for Super Bowl snacks?
The old Wells L would have had chips and dip, cream cheese and dried beef cheese ball and crackers, meatballs in sauce, pizza, and cheese sauce and tortilla chips. The new Wells L has a much healthier approach to game day snacking.

SNACK #1:
This past week, Kimberly at Healthy Strides, posted the most awesome recipefor Buffalo Chicken Tacos. (and it had to be healthy because she is the uber-awesome healthy chica!) That got me thinking ahead to Super Bowl Sunday and what a great twist on the ol' traditional hot wings is this?!?! So . . . I printed off the recipe and prepped it on Saturday night so all we have to do before kick off is heat and eat.

Here's the components all laid out - blue cheese sauce (top left), buffalo chicken (bottom left), and whole wheat tortillas (did you know that not all whole wheat tortillas are the same? These have only 76 kcal per torilla, but the cheaper brand had 170 kcal - well, I'll pay a little more so that I can eat 2 for the same amount of calories!!!). I still have to cut up the celery and cheated by buying carrots that were already shredded (lazy, I know).

SNACK #2:
We like pizza and we like the bagel bites (frozen mini pizzas made on bagels) but the new Wells L can't get with either of those right now (I prefer to save my "indulgences" for anther time). So . . . I created my own bagel bites - much like the already prepared frozen variety except I used whole wheat mini bagels, fat free mozzarella cheese, pizza sauce (nothing special about it) and turkey pepperoni. Oh yeah - all the same taste, but I would like to think it's a lot healthier. Check out the result for yourself (I'll pop them in the oven at half-time) -
SNACK #3:
Heart Healthy Chili - what's game day (and 6 new inches of snow outside thanks to Saturday's storm) without chili. This recipe is FAST (seriously, it can be ready in under 30 minutes, but I like to simmer it for a couple of hours) and comes from a American Heart Association Cookbook.
4 cans tomato sauce
1 can hot chili beans (not drained)
1 can black beans (I drain and rinse them)
1/2 pound of low fat ground beef - browned along with 1 green pepper and 1 onion
Mix, cook until warmed through
The recipe also calls for 1 cup cooked whole what macaroni to be added in the last 10 minutes, but I skipped that this time. Every time I make it with macaroni - the mac gets mushy. You can add a can of stewed or diced tomatoes for extra veggies. My husband doesn't really love spicy, otherwise I would also add jalapenos.

SNACK #4:
Fresh veggies -
Although the pix only shows celery and radishes, there is also baby carrots and dill pickles to be made into a cute veggie tray.
SNACK #5 (unhealthy option):
For my husband, there is nacho cheese dip and tortilla chips. I had 3 chips and just drizzled the sauce on top of the 3 chips. It was enough to get a taste, but not too much to undo a week's worth of healthful eating.

4 comments:

  1. I made kielbasa for the boy, and he ordered wings (none for me though)
    I made nacho potatoes(actually a yummy WW recipe), veggies, and harry & david dip with Stacy's pita chips. yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you liked those tacos! I LOVED them and am jealous you got to eat them yesterday. You are doing so awesome, and I am so glad you found some good alternatives for the big game!

    ReplyDelete