Thursday, April 29, 2010

Chapter 2 page 50 - half marathon training update (HMTU) 1

Well - I've jumped into the deep end of the pool!!!!! What am I thinking?

I was going to create a separate blog for keeping track of my half-marathon training, but I decided that my millions of readers probably won't mind if I use this blog to discuss my training on this blog - after all, it's part of my chapter 2 journey. So . . . hopefully for the next 16 weeks a few times a week, I will have a post about my half-marathon training. I will title the post HMTU (half marathon training update) so if you don't care, you can easily skip those posts.

First, let me say HOW MUCH I am enjoying my new training partner "C". She is sooo patient with my extremely slow pace and my loud huffing and puffing. She says she is enjoying our time together and doesn't mind the pace. I think she is being honest - I hope she is being honest. I told her today that there was a HUGE difference in doing our 3 mile training today versus a 13 mile race (wonder how she'll feel about me after we jog/walk for nearly 2.75 hours together???).

My normal training partner "L" is still "MY GO TO GIRL!" Love her!! Absolutely LOVE training with her - the time flies by which is fabulous since you all know how little I like jogging/walking anyway!!! Her life is a bit full at the moment so hopefully we can get a few training sessions in during the month - "C" and "L" and I have all pledged to do the 1/2 marathon of the Parlor City Trot (Saturday, September 4, 2010)

With 2 training partners, I'm more likely to get more workouts in during the week which is going to be necessary if I'm going to try to do a half-marathon in 16 weeks!!!

Today, "C" shared a printed training schedule with me. Today's plan was to run (please always read the word "run" as "jog") and walk for a total of 40-45 minutes (I think). We warmed up and cooled down with a 5 minute walk and then jogged/walked 2:2 (alternating 2 minutes jogging with 2 minutes walking) for 28 minutes. Did you happen to notice how windy it was between 4-5 p.m.?????!!!!!!!!???????? My goodness!!! I felt as if we were jogging backwards it was blowing soooo hard!!! Our time from start to finish was 38 minutes - only 2 more hours and I'll have a 1/2 marathon under my belt (wow - what the heck am I thinking?!?!?!) We probably only went about 2 3/4 miles or maybe even a smidge less.

How did I feel during the training session? Well, I felt like we were going so slowly but I was really working hard. On a scale of 1-10 referring to how hard I was working, I would say it was a 9. My lower back was sooo tight, it just felt like it was going to crack and break. Also, I felt as if I couldn't get my rhythm during the jog. I usually do a gliding type motion and today I just couldn't get that smooth flow going. I surely hope I can get it back sooner rather than later - I certainly don't want to actually run. On a positive note, I didn't cough when we were done or while we were doing it.

One training session down - only around 45 more to go (WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment