Sunday, January 23, 2011

Chapter 2 page 224 - Book Review (part 2 of 2)

This weekend I read the book "Marathoning for Mortals" by John Bingham and Jenny Hadfield. I reviewed the first half of the book HERE.

Here are my thoughts about the second half of the book -

Chapters 9: Basic info about injury prevention and treatment. This chapter really only addresses the 3 most common running injuries: runner's knee, ITB, plantar fasciitis. There was nothing new in this chapter. I only scanned it as I knew everything in it already . . . slowly add mileage, listen to your body, running shouldn't hurt, etc.

Chapter 10: Again this chapter is a complete repeat of every other book - nothing new here. Cross-training is important because it changes up the muscles, prevents injuries, keeps you motivated, helps stay trained while recovering from an injury, helps manage weight. The chapter discusses the various options for Cross Training . . . who reading this book doesn't already know them? It does make a compelling argument for ensuring that your training schedule includes cross training sessions.

Chapter 11: This chapter focuses on food as fuel. Although I've had several nutrition classes and feel I have a good grasp on the important concepts . . . I don't come close to practicing them. This chapter was a good reminder of the importance of using food as fuel, not as comfort, not as a social activity, not as an emotional crutch. Contrary to my thoughts (and "L" would agree she felt this way too) - training for a half marathon should easily result in a large weight loss - NOT! This chapter's key message is to PRACTICE what you'll eat and drink on race day.

Chapter 12: This chapter was all about gear - but, this was another one that I simply scanned. One visit to a good running shoe store and you'll know everything in this chapter. It was mainly about shoes - and the importance of getting a good pair that addresses your foot issues. No DUH!

Chapter 13: This chapter was called "Race Strategy, Goals and Objectives" - this chapter alone is worth reading the entire book!!!! It's not particularly new information, but it clearly lays out the reason race strategy is necessary. It forces you to think about plan A, plan B, and plan C because longer distance racing can take unexpected turns. Totally a GREAT chapter. So glad I'm reading this book!

Chapter 14: This chapter discusses tapering to toeing the line. Like other chapters, it wasn't anything new; however, it was reassuring to know that what I experienced just before my first half marathon (the anxiety, fear, worry) is normal.

Chapter 15: This part of the book helps you celebrate arriving at the starting line and the significance that has in your overall life from race day forward. It's pretty motivational - just the thing I'm looking for right now as I face 4.5 months of training for the Geist in May followed by 4 more months of training for the F4F in September and then another half in November. Motivation - can't get enough of it right now.

Chapter 16: This was a fantastic chapter addressing the physical AND mental aspects one experiences AFTER their half/full marathon. The chapter starts with addressing the first 30 minutes after crossing the finish line - both the emotions you experience, as well as the hydration and nutrition needs you have. The chapter walks you through the days and weeks of reverse tapering. My favorite part of this chapter was the discussion of "feeling lost" after spending so much time having been focused on the plan. I totally had this feeling and know that others blogged experienced this too.

Pages 224-253: 8 different training plans; I'm not 100% sure these are ever ones that I would use because they only go up to 10 miles for a half and 20 miles for a full. I'm not the kind of girl who "if you can run 10 miles you can do 13". That's just not me. I'm too big, I'm too slow, it's all just too challenging. I'm the kind of girl who NEEDS to toe the starting line knowing that I've done the full 13 miles and that I CAN do it again! Perhaps I might try one of these plans in between half marathons . . . we'll have to see.

Totally recommend this book!!!
Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. "I'm not the kind of girl who 'if you can run 10 miles you can do 13' " - LOVE IT. I am not either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I would lose weight marathon training, I agree when you say "NOT!"

    ReplyDelete