Friday, September 16, 2011

Chapter 2 page 436 - Food Photo Friday

What's Wells L been eating lately????
Good question, see for yourself!!!!
Quickie Sausage Skillet (or at least that's what I'm calling it)
As originally inspired by April at Another Day in the Life of April HERE
This meal is beyond simple, quick, and takes only 4 or 5 ingredients that you can keep on hand.  I'm definitely going to be keeping this in mind for those nights after a long run when you're tired and need something delicious but fast and easy . . . bing bing - this is that meal :) 
1 can New Potatoes sliced or diced - added to a skillet of olive oil.

Brown up the potatoes (I will skip this step in the future - I didn't think it added much to the overall meal and took an extra 10 minutes). 

Add sliced smoked sausage (can be any variety you would like - turkey, beef, spicy)

Brown the sausage

Add a can of green beans

Add a can of corn - any variety you want (I think I would use southwest style corn next time)

In a departure from April's post, I thought the dish might need a little something more to bring it all together.  I opted for a can of Rotel which is cooked diced tomatoes mixed with chilis.

Add the can of Rotel to give it some zing (I definitely think the tomato was essential so if you don't like spice, maybe just some stewed or diced canned tomatoes would work as well)


After the Rotel there was a lot of extra liquid . . . perhaps I should have drained the Rotel like I did the other veggies????  It looks a lot like veggie soup at this stage.

No problem - slap a lid on and simmer for 10 minutes or so

That's mo' like it!  Perfectly blended and heated through. 

Close up for you - it really does taste a lot like veggie soup but it's not soupy

I had purchased pre-made rolls at the grocery store so all I had to do was warm them up.  Since the Rotel made the dish pretty spicy - I think I would make corn bread the next time instead. 
 Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This looks like a delicious meal! You know, I have never seen new potatoes in a can before, but that would save a lot of time normally spent peeling and dicing. I'll have to find it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious!! WEll... everything except the tomatoes ;) lol I dont like tomatoes very much... except on blt pizza... which is weird...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum - only I would leave out the green beans!

    ReplyDelete