Friday, September 30, 2011

Chapter 2 page 450 - TR 169 possiby the best run ever!

Let me preface this by saying there are 3 photos at the end of this post - keep reading :)
If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you know that I seldom have an easy run (easy meaning it doesn't feel hard not easy as in the pace).  Running is hard for me.  Running hurts me - I have a lot of pain after I run on a wide range of body parts.  Running, even as slow as I am, is a challenge for me.  I've been known to kneel down in ditches ("L" can tell you all about that!), lay down on golf courses ("C" can tell you that story in detail!), and just sit on a rock (click HERE to learn more about that) because I seriously have run out of gas while out for a run (I can say I've never quit - I've always gotten back up and soldiered on, only cut 2 runs short, and never called to be picked up).  In the past year, though, I've run 5 half marathons and 15 10K's and gotten an average of an entire minute/mile faster - an accomplishment I'm both proud of and surprised by.  I say all of this as the post "warm up" just to say that less than 5 runs in the past 2 years have been what I would term "great".  You all have great runs weekly or at least a few a month - me, not so much.

UNTIL TODAY

Today, I ran 6.13 miles in 1:31:57 (including a 10 minute walking warm up and a 5 minute cool down walk).  It was nearly effortless (yes, it wasn't one of my fastest times so it should be pretty "easy" - but as I've said even slow runs don't = easy for me).  I used a 2:00 & 2:15 interval (I did just run a PR half marathon 6 days ago) so it was just a return to running kind of run (know what I mean?).  You want to know what else?  I ran the middle 1.3 miles STRAIGHT!!!!  I had my jamz on and I thoroughly enjoyed my solo run today!!!  It was HUGELY (Yes, I'm using that word - deal with it) windy and DARN chilly - I wore a quarter zip long sleeve shirt over my short sleeve shirt and pants.  I had a bondi band that I pulled over my ears.  For the first 3 miles I had wished I had gloves (seems oh soooo early in the season for gloves).  Knowing it was sooooooo windy, I elected to take a route that was almost entirely through dense woods (on a paved path) to try to limit the wind - AWESOME PLAN!!!  There were a few unprotected areas which was a huge challenge.
Here are some photos from the path I ran today (yes, there really is pavement underneath those leaves):
Don't look now, but Fall is on it's way!

I should say that I didn't see a single other person during my 90 minute run (except the gate attendant). 

Just a quick post run photo of me while I was stretching. 
Do you remember one of your best runs?  Share your story!

5 comments:

  1. What an amazing and beautiful run! I had a fabulous run a few weeks ago, on the first really chilly morning in a while. So nice to have cooler weather and the run was effortless!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful on the trails! Jealous! I would love to get out there and run! Congrats on a great run - I have a feeling that this cooler weather may bring you more of those!

    And on a side note, I just have to say that I think that is a super cute picture of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your headband, too! :)

    I'm so glad you had a perfect run! That happened at one of my races last year (Women Run the Cities). I felt great and fast the whole time, and chatted with several fabulous women along the way.

    I've missed commenting on your entries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I NEED THAT HEADBAND!! Too funny. Your track looks gorgeous and amazing. And listen to you ... a 90 minute effortless run - well done chickadee!

    ReplyDelete