Thursday, September 1, 2011

Chapter 2 page 423 - Destination racing tips by Coach Jenny!

I love destination races - they are like 90% mini vacay and 10% work (the half marathon part of the trip).  Last November was my first destination race - and I fell.in.love!  I, however, had no guidance or education or even much advice (other than to hydrate a lot because flying is dehydrating).  Coach Jenny just wrote a great article offering 5 tips for runners who travel to races.  If you are new to destination races, I think you'll find some important tips.  Check it out HERE - enjoy!


Do you do destination races?  
 Yes, I have done 2 official destination races and have 2 more (Oct & Nov) this year. I've done one out-of-town race, but I don't think that necessarily counts as "destination".  

Where have you been?  
 St. Pete (Women's Half) & Chicago (RnR)


What is some advice you can give newbies?
I found packing my race day breakfast (or buying it as soon as you arrive at the destination) is the best choice to avoid stressing - I've not found any eateries open early enough on race morning.  A bagel, peanut butter packet, and knife come with me for every race. 

3 comments:

  1. Just what I needed in prep for my FIRST destination race in October! Thanks for sharing!! You are a fountain of useful information, thank you! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to do a destination race! I've done races in Chicago and Cincinnati but every time I had family to stay with. Not quite the same. I'd really like to do RnR Vegas or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never done a destination race but it is on my to do list!

    I found you through Sammy's blog ~ Happy Family, Healthy Family. And I LOVE yours! Can't wait to prowl around some more :)

    ReplyDelete