Friday, March 25, 2011

Chapter 2 page 265 - tomorrow's race preview

In honor of National Nutrition Month, the Fort Wayne Track Club hosts an annual race called the "Nutri-Run".  The race has 2 distances - 5 Miler and 20K.  "My girl Ashley" (see the bottom of my side bar to learn more about her) and I will be doing the 5 Miler.  Tomorrow's race is the 30th anniversary and is one of the most challenging courses in the FW area (I've been told). 

Since Nutrition Month is wrapping up, here's a little reminder of the importance of eating a rainbow everyday . . .

Here is a quick color guide of fruits and vegetables.
Green produce indicates antioxidant potential and may help promote healthy vision and reduce cancer risks.
Fruits: avocado, apples, grapes, honeydew, kiwi and lime
Vegetables: artichoke, asparagus, broccoli, green beans, green peppers and leafy greens such as spinach

Orange and deep yellow fruits and vegetables contain nutrients that promote healthy vision and immunity, and reduce the risk of some cancers.
Fruits: apricot, cantaloupe, grapefruit, mango, papaya, peach and pineapple
Vegetables: carrots, yellow pepper, yellow corn and sweet potatoes

Purple and blue options may have antioxidant and anti-aging benefits and may help with memory, urinary tract health and reduced cancer risks.
Fruits: blackberries, blueberries, plums, raisins
Vegetables: eggplant, purple cabbage, purple-fleshed potato

Red indicates produce that may help maintain a healthy heart, vision, immunity and may reduce cancer risks.
Fruits: cherries, cranberries, pomegranate, red/pink grape fruit, red grapes and watermelon
Vegetables: beets, red onions, red peppers, red potatoes, rhubarb and tomatoes

White, tan and brown foods sometimes contain nutrients that may promote heart health and reduce cancer risks.
Fruits: banana, brown pear, dates and white peaches
Vegetables: cauliflower, mushrooms, onions, parsnips, turnips, white-fleshed potato and white corn

1 comment:

  1. You're from Fort Wayne?? How did I not know this? I've been there before, I took a road trip with my bestie a couple (and by couple I mean 4) years ago. She's actually moving back this summer. I don't know why but I really like it when I actually know where bloggers live (as in, I've visited, not that I stalk you). LOL
    Well, good luck and keep eating those veggies! and fruit!

    ReplyDelete