Saturday, January 14, 2012

Chapter 2 page 520– Healthifying McDonalds

I REALLY hope you aren’t minding the additional food posts I’ve been writing as of late – it’s part of helping me stay on track with my Numero Uno goal for 2012 – Loosing weight. 

As I was driving home on Saturday after doing 2 group fitness classes (post on that coming soon), I was starving.  I ate a banana and 10 pecan halves during my 40 minute drive home but it wasn’t enough.  I was planning on making a hummus wrap for lunch at home, but was worried it wouldn’t be filling enough and I would end up eating other things.  So . . . I stopped at McDonalds on the way home and ordered a “naked” (no mayo – I also skip the tomato because I hate them) classic grilled chicken sandwich which contains only 300 calories and 3.5 grams of fat. 

Here’s how I healthified it. . .

1.  Start with a grilled classic chicken sandwich SANS mayo, tomato, and also the wilted lettuce leaf.

100_2491100_2492

2.  Add Buffalo Hot Sauce to give it a kick of yum, add 4 slices of cucumber for a crunch, and add 8 slices of red, yellow, and orange bell pepper (I nuked them to soften them a bit).

100_2494100_2495

3.  Top with fresh cut leaf lettuce and ENJOY! 

100_2497

Do you ever eat fast food?  Yes, regretfully, it’s a pretty big component of my life (BUT in 2012 – I’ve been making the most healthful choices possible instead of just having a burger and fries which I always used to do).

If so, what are your healthy recommendations (and from where)?   My biggest tip, which isn’t going to be new to any of you, is to take a minute to look up the nutrition information BEFORE eating anything at a fast food restaurant.  On Monday I ate a naked baked potato from Wendy’s thinking I was making a VERY healthy choice.  NOPE!  That sucker had 270 calories (learned it after I ate it).  I was shocked and would have sworn a plain baked potato would have been a very healthy choice. 

6 comments:

  1. I've never been a fan of McDonald's, KFC and the like ... but i do love a good doner kebab (especially if there has been alcohol involved the night before!!)

    I can't believe a plain baked potato was 270 calories ... what did they do - deep fry it!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised by the calories in the baked potato too. Wow. If I do fast food I will sometimes do what you did, get a grilled chicken sandwich plain and eat only half the bun (at McD I also get the regular hamburger bun, fewer cals). Other days, I will split a meal with my kids ... a 2-3 chicken nuggets and a handful of fries. Of course, thats more to satisfy the craving for unhealthy food than to fill myself up. BUt, it works for me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I don't eat much fast food, I usually go online first to look up the info. I'm always so surprised! I love the chicken tenders at Arby's. They're so delicious to me, filling when paired with a side salad and less than 300 calories. Can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks yummy wells!!
    Unfortunately I eat fast food quite a bit... especially donuts ;)... I know it's not good for me, but it's really convenient with my schedule right now... I try to pack my lunch as much as possible, and eat at least 3 servings of fruit/veggies a day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have very strong views on fast food and it's just not for me. I think the last time I had fast food like McD's or Arby's or any of that was when I was 4! But I can definitely appreciate your tips on healthifying-especially if it works for you! :)

      Delete