Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Chapter 2 page 334 - TR 117 3K race recap

I feel soooooo lucky and blessed!!!!  I have great friends, a great job, and God's gifts!!!  Tonight was the beginning of a 3 part race series called the Knight's Run.  Tonight the series began with a 3K race.  In 2 weeks there will be a 4K race (which sadly I'll have to miss) and then in a month there will be a 5K race.  All 3 are cross country races  - totally a NEW experience for me!!!!!! 

So tonight, was the 3K which my awesome SBFF agreed to do with me . . . she roped in our other 2 friends to join us.  It was a lot of fun.  I had emailed the race director to give him a head's up that I was bringing some walkers to the race.  He was more than welcoming and accommodating - great guy!  I think the winner finished in just over 10 minutes while we finished in about 34:30.  It was certainly hot and running on tall grass was much more challenging than I had ever dreamed it would be.  Have you done a cross country race?  It's a whole different world.  They use a yellow and red flag system to let you know where to turn and if it's a left or right turn.  Hmmmm- new experience for sure!!!!  The course was beautiful - part of it was out in the HOT sun and wide open while a half of mile or so was in a beautiful woods. 

I stayed right at "M's" side and at one point she looked at me and said with all the seriousness in the world, "I'm out of stamina.  I can't go any more."  OHHHHH DO I KNOW WHAT THAT'S LIKE!!!!!!!!  I've been there in EVER race and I have ALWAYS been blessed to have a friend to tell me to suck it up and keep going!!!  Tonight was my chance to pay it forward!  I talked "M" through the pain and explained that the harder the challenge feels while you're racing, the greater the pride and joy feels afterward.  Afterward she said, "Thank you!  I did that!"  Yep "M", YOU DID THAT!!!! 

Just a couple of steps ahead of "M" and I were our other 2 friends "R" and "B".  Although this was "R's" first race, "B" has done them before though it has been a few years.  Both "R" and "B" looked strong and amazing!  They did GREAT!  I was so proud of them.  They were so encouraging to "M" and remained so positive throughout the event.  They were so impressive.

Afterward, we went out for margaritas to celebrate the awesomeness that comes with doing your first race.  CHEERS!!!

Registration paperwork in hand - "I can't believe we're really going to do this!"

"M's" first time pinning on a bib - yep, it's feeling pretty real now!

"R" attaching her chip - "what's this for"

Oh yeah - "R", me, "M" - we're ready . . . or NOT!  Sweet goodness it was HOT!

Spring Into Training Participants and my "Curves" friends - great group of ladies!

Proof we were all "official".

Nearly 1/2 mile complete and looking strong! 

No time for smiles in this one - it's all about concentrating - left, right, left, right, ohh and don't forget to breathe!

Check out those post race smiles!!!!!!  Great job gals!!!!  First race . . . in the DONE!

A margarita toast makes every race more fun, doesn't it?!?!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like y'all had a fantastic time! It must have taken some getting used to running through fields, etc, as opposed to the road. That's something I would like to try someday.
    And lookit you, paying it forward! Doesn't it feel great to be able to help encourage someone else along? I love it! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how I feel about running through fields - I think I would be itching for hours just at the memory or the grass touching my leg! I can't believe you guys did that in the heat. I am in awe. (And that, btw, is the only thing keeping me sane looking at that margarita. So JEALOUS!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad things panned out alright!! Love all the pics. You do such a great job with the pics!

    ---

    On the maragaritas... I have to admit I cringed a bit... I found out recently they have like the most calories out of any alcoholic beverage! Like 500 to 700 per drink. Yikes. Long Island Iced Tea is also bad.

    Next time tell the girls ya'll getting your fiesta on with Corona Light. Only like 105 cals per bottle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on a great race! You are so awesome for helping out M when she was struggling. It definitely takes the experience of going through rough times in order to help someone else through them. :)

    Margaritas are a fantastic way to celebrate post-race. I also like a pint of beer. :)

    ReplyDelete