Sunday, June 12, 2011

Chapter 2 page 341 - snack time

Recently, I went grocery shopping at the big city stores.  In addition to picking up fruits and veggies, I picked up a few things that would work for snacks.  Here's some of the things I came up with

Snack #1 & #2:
Sam's Club Bulk buying!!!!
Convenience fruit - fruit cups in 100% juice.  I know that a piece of fruit is superior to these, but in a quick pinch or as a dessert/snack at work, these are definitely a much better option than lots of other things.

Fiber One 90 kcal bars - again, not the epitome of awesome healthfulness, but for 90 calories and featuring my favorite dessert flavor combo - chocolate & PB, I think it's a winning option (especially when compared to grabbing a candy bar or going 6+ hours without any food).

Snack #3:
Whole grain, organic, gluten free, and DELICIOUS chips - have you tried these??  Learn more about these amazingly nutrtious and delicious chips HERE.

source
My husband is a big fan of trying different foods (prior to getting married, I was NOT a food adventurer!) so when I saw these I thought they would be a perfect fit for our family - new and unexpected for my husband, nutritious and flavorful for me!  This was the first flavor we tried - OH YES!!!  Bam  - WINNER!!!!
I also picked up this flavor as well.  The bags were 2 for $4 so they definitely aren't cheap, but the exhaustive list of whole grains, healthy fats, and other pros is priceless.  These are a great sub for chips!  I highly recommend you try them.  If you email the company, you can get a coupon.  For you give away bloggers out there, I'm sure the owner would love to have you do a product review in exchange for some free bags!!!!
Snack #4:
Blue Diamond Oven Roasted Mint Dark Chocolate flavored.  I have LONG been a BIG fan of the Dark Chocolate almonds, but to add mint - genius!!!!  Although it's a stretch, these might just trick your taste buds into thinking you're eating a Girl Scout Thin Mint cookie - and who couldn't eat a sleeve of those in record time????  12 almonds = 90 calories . . . tasty and protein packed!!! 
source

SO . . .WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE DESK DRAWER OR "AT THE READY" SNACK?

4 comments:

  1. I have to admit, you can find fruit cups in my desk! Almonds, peanuts, popcorn are also popular. I even have a can of soup in there sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I am a big fan of bars. Like LARABARS or LUNA bars. I would say that's my #1 snack drawer option. I also keep green tea in there, which allegedly helps deter hunger.

    I am trying to be more good at packing an afternoon snack. I usually have something fresh like apple w/PB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Found you through Rust Belt Runner (I was the other gel winner!) and I'm so glad I found your blog!
    My favorite quick snacks are almonds and popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh... Blue Diamond almonds are the best! I've had the dark chocolate mint ones before, but I actually prefer their sea salt ones.

    ReplyDelete