Exactly 12 hours after my Friday night 5K, I had a Saturday morning 5K. A little crazy because I got home on Friday night at 10:15 p.m. (had to shower and change my nail polish color from green to pink) and left for this race at 5:45 a.m. (makes for a VERY short night), but the challenge was AWESOME. This race was put on by a Curves with proceeds going to the osteoporosis foundation. As a first year race, I was hopeful that it would live up to all the hype, but fearful of the oversight and disorganization plague that usually affects first year events . . . excitingly - the event exceeded my expectations. In addition to the oodles of amazing swag (photos below), the race featured 2 water stations, volunteers on bikes riding back and forth encouraging participants, and a lot of crowd support!!! Hands down, this was the BEST 5K I have ever done. (p.s. you can click on any photo to enlarge it)
As if the race and swag wasn't enough, you'll never believe what the post race was like. Here are some of the highlights:
1. 2 LARGE pink columns of balloons at the finish line
2. Every finisher received a bright pink feather boa (although feathers and sweat don't mix very well - it was still a LOT of fun to see 220+ ladies waving pink boas).
3. Ice cold bottled water at the finish line
4. Ice cold individual cartons of chocolate milk (donated by Allen dairy)
5. Appetizers from Granite City - seriously there are NO WORDS to describe how delicious these were - ohhhh my!!!! They had a spinach artichoke and cheese dip with tortilla chips that was so upscale and tasted so creamy - it was amazing. They also had pot stickers which were out of this world. There was plenty that people had seconds. (I heard that Granite City donated these to the race).
6. Orange slices - in such supply that everyone ended up getting at least 4 slices.
7. Door prizes - not just "hey here's a pink #2 pencil for you" - nope!! They were Vera Bradly bags, and $50 gift certificates to the running store, and hour massages, and free tax prep just to name a few. There were probably 20-25 big ticket door prizes.
8. The 1st place open and 1st place masters got a bouquet of flowers as their prize (total diva, right!) *
9. Age group winners got an extra boa and tiara - too cute!*
10. A local radio station was on hand to provide all the music entertainment
11. Casey Shaffer & Doug staffed a water station - thanks Casey for the supportive interaction!!! You're awesome!!!!!
* HERE is another blog showing some more pictures of the awards
What a FANTASTIC event!
|We all met at 6:00 a.m. to caravan to the big city! It was about a 45 minute drive to get to the race.|
|Probably shouldn't take pictures and drive, but the sunrise was too beautiful to ignore!|
|The race advertised boas & tiaras so "C" and I broke out the bling!!!!! We got the MOST compliments - all you costume runners should really consider tiaras!!!! Ohhhh AND of course, I had to paint my nails pink to match!|
|"C" being goofy while showing off her tiara!|
|A close up of my tiara and the boa we got at the finish line - screams DIVA, huh!!!!|
|"C's" tiara had purple gemstones while mine had pink ones - hence, we coordinated our shirts with our tiaras - after all, we're DAZZLING DASHING DIVAS!!!|
|Might recognize these 2 from the Full Moon recap - this is a mother/daughter duo who are also recent S.I.T. graduates!|
|Apparently the back row bookends didn't get the memo about the importance of a pre-race thumbs up, but nonetheless, here were are as a group before the race!!!!|
|Impromptu photo that cracks me up.|
|"C" with her youngest daughter "B" who just recently graduated HS and is IU bound!!!|
|They stopped to "strike a pose" - "BL" said "that stop took 10 seconds so I'm deducting it from my time." She cracks me up. So fantastic to have a sense of humor this far into the hot and humid race!!!!!|
|One last "party in the streets" pose - come on girls, it's time to finish the race already - MOVE YOUR BOO-TAYS!|
|Isn't this a GREAT Finish line pix? Yay for the man who was kind enough to capture our happy group!!!!!!|
|After all the awards and door prizes, we all went as a group (minus "SD" - missed you) out to eat at Bob Evans. We had a great time swapping stories and making plans for future races. I'm trying to convince them to do one of the F4F races.|