Friday, January 1, 2010

Chapter 2 page 2

So . . . it's January 1st, 2010 . . . doom's day! Time to reign in rouge decision making - yeah, I think that really sums up what needs done to fix my life and regain the pride I had 10 years ago.

I'm going to be making the following statement my new mantra (at least for now): What does this cost? Deciding to have a second serving - what does it cost? Deciding to skip the gym - what does it cost? Eating every cookie that is baked - what does it cost?

I'm a trained Wellness Coach and have been trained extensively in goal-setting as a fundamental and transformational tool to create real and lasting change in one's life. When an individual desires to make a lifestyle change, he/she should create 3-5 weekly SMART (Specific, Measurable, Action focused, Realistic, and Timed) Goals, real change occurs in small, meaningful, and intentional steps. While I was taking the 4 month coaching class, I practiced the goal setting techniques we were being taught, and it really worked! I lost 25 pounds, joined a gym, made healthy dietary decisions. After several months of setting goals I thought I had progressed passed making weekly goals - after all I DO know what to do (execution sometimes leaves a lot to be desired) - and after several months of not making weekly goals I noticed I was just adrift - progress toward my weight loss goal became stagnate. I've coached many clients who also have had life changing outcomes from weekly goal setting - so . . . I'm going back to setting weekly goals (I prefer to set them on Sundays - I swear I'm not procrastinating - I'll post next week's goals on Sunday. . . or Monday) . . . stay tuned.

Today's victory - realizing that I don't have to think about my future as a life time of restrictive eating and forced exercise, but rather, it's simply about reigning in rogue decision making (which of course means deciding to eat well and exercise), but changing it from what I can't do (eat everything) to what I can do (take control of my decisions) is quite empowering and far less daunting . . . at least for me. A change in perspective - glass is half full.

On this day 1 of New Year's Resolutions - may all of your goals come true!
Happy New Year everyone! Happy 2nd Anniversary, honey-ILY!

No comments:

Post a Comment